Fenugreek, also known as methi in India, has been a very productive plant in Ayurveda for several years. It is has been used for many functions such as improvement in digestion, assistance in breast milk production, and for relief from eczema. One can also make use of fenugreek for hair loss, whereby it is deemed highly suitable for hair masks.
Indian women are known all over the world to have the healthiest and strongest hair in comparison to other countries. For this reason, Indian hair is a popular choice for hair extensions and wigs. You will be able to understand the use of fenugreek for hair loss in this article.
Fenugreek is essentially a legume with its yellow seeds present inside a brown pod. Although the seeds are characterized by bitter taste, they emanate a nutty smell slightly similar to maple. The smell is so distinct that fenugreek seeds are used for coffee and imitation maple syrup.
It has been found that this legume has several antibacterial and antifungal properties. It fights dandruff-causing bacteria with the same effectiveness as synthetic drugs, but without their potentially harmful side-effects. Fenugreek also has important fatty acids such as oleic and linoleic fatty acids, which are common ingredients of several skincare remedies. The concentration of oil in this seed is fairly high, at 7.8%.
Fenugreek is capable of stimulating hair growth. It can lower the time for hair growth up to ½ of the original period. Extracted fenugreek is highly helpful in hair loss treatment.
How fenugreek seeds benefit hair
Fenugreek seeds have the following nutrients which are highly useful in preventing hair loss:
- Vitamins: The vitamins A, B1, and C are helpful in promoting hair growth, improving strength, shine, and thickness. They also protect the hair from free radicals that are part of pollution.
- Amino acids: They maintain keratin, which is a naturally occurring protein for strength and hair growth, along with other hair proteins
- Proteins: Proteins are capable of treating hair fall and can nourish hair
- Mucilaginous fibers: These fibers absorb water to make a paste that provides good conditioning and softening effects to your hair
- Lecithin: It is an emollient which can moisturize and strengthen your mane
How to make a Fenugreek mask
You will first need to purchase Fenugreek seeds online, or from the local market. Ensure that the quality of these seeds is high, since lower grade seeds will not be as potent and effective as higher quality ones. Organic fenugreek seeds are available at a variety of online stores and are highly suitable for preparing masks.
Grind the seeds
You need to grind the seeds into powdered form with help from a food processor. Not having them in powdered form will yet again reduce the legume’s effectiveness in hair fall treatment. If you do not wish to get into the hassle of preparing the powder, you may look at buying fenugreek powder directly. The second option is better if you have the budget.
It may be a good idea to soak the fenugreek seeds overnight. If you have powder, it will not be necessary to give this time; you simply have to mix the powder in water. Keep the following points in mind while soaking the seeds:
- Remember to not use water which makes the paste watery or else the fenugreek will not gel
- Very little water for the paste is a problem as well. If you apply a paste with very little water to your hair, it is likely to have a dehydrating effect.
- Do not soak the seeds for more than 12 hours at room temperature, or the paste will go bad before use. At the same time, soaking it for the right time is important for the paste to be effective on your scalp and hair.
- To increase the effectiveness of the paste, you can add other ingredients as well. Yogurt, oil, or infused liquid such as coconut water are highly desirable. Depending on the recipe, you may need to add the ingredients after soaking the seeds or during mixture preparation.
Application of the paste
Make sure you have prepared enough quantity of the paste to cover all your hair and the scalp, which will help gain the maximum effect. Some women rinse after keeping it applied for 30 minutes, while there are still others who prefer to leave it overnight. Experiment a little to know what works best for you.
If you apply the paste overnight, remember to cover your head with a cap so that you don’t get marks on your bed sheet. This natural treatment is immensely helpful in repairing hair damage and in the addition of important nutrients. Women in different parts of the world do this treatment twice a month on an average.